Imago lacus

The picture above was taken by a dear friend, the American poet Debra Kang Dean (please do not use it without permission). I met Debra three years before, when I went to Walden to work with his late husband Brad, a great Thoreau scholar. Once we spent hours tracking this quotation: "Some men go fishing all their lives without ever realizing it's not fish they are after." We concluded that Thoreau never wrote it, but si non è vero...

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Abraham's daughter


Abraham took Isaac's hand
And led him to the lonesome hill
While his daughter hid and watched
She dared not breathe she was so still

Just as an angel cried for the slaughter
Abraham's daughter raised her voice

Then the angel asked her what her
Name was she said I have none
Then he asked how can this be
My father never gave me one

And when he saw her raised for the slaughter
Abraham's daughter raised her bow
How darest you child defy your father
You better let young Isaac go

3 comments:

  1. Bueno, algo de eso hay, pero en general me impresionó esta relectura feminista de la historia de Abraham e Isaac. Y cuando la escuché por primera vez (en los créditos de la peli que han hecho sobre "Los juegos del hambre", otra historia feminista) no me di cuenta de que la hacían Arcade Fire...

    Egun ona izan!

    ReplyDelete